Wednesday, March 30, 2011

can music exist where there once was none?









I have this revolution occurring in my head recently. I guess the last 2 years or so, maybe a little longer. My husband and I have some pretty different opinions about music we listen to for enjoyment. So...I spent much of my teenage years following my fave bands and hanging out with that scene, and hooking up with friends on weekends to listen to their bands belt out tunes in funky music halls, basements, houses, and small retail establishments. Much of that fun ended when John and I realized we could not stand the others choice of recreational music. So stagnant we became. John has a fairly decent musical background, where mine is pretty much void of any personal musical expression. Anyway, my story is this...we have not listened to much music, until my daughter started listening to her own music. I mean I guess my kids have always known a few...Johny Cash, Crosby, Still, Nash and Young, Sting, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, etc. I am really rambling here. Anyhow, about 3 years ago Lexi started listening to a pretty nice group of country music tunes. I have previously shied away from that genre, but I listened and realized I liked most of it. So...that in itself opened the house to some new sounds. My whole life growing up I never learned to play an instrument..who knows why. My parents never shared any music of their own creation with us...I think at some point my sisters tried something. We always had this old guitar languishing somewhere in the house...oh how I longed to be able to pick it up and really know what to do with it. Many years ago, I finally decided it needed a face lift. So I sanded it down and stripped it of all its glossy sheen and hardware. I started painting it. I guess it never really looked the way I wanted it as I packed it away in the back of the garage years and years ago. My daughter, the country music fan, has been asking for years to take guitar lessons, so she finally found a teacher she likes. We bought her a guitar and she is knee deep in learning. So, this has renewed once again my interest in painting a fun guitar, with the hopes of someday figuring out how to plunk something out on it. So, I dug back into the dark recesses of our treasure trove of a garage and found the guitar...once again I have started over painting it. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time to have a go at this, since I was about 12 years old. Here are the paintings from this week. Maybe someday I will finish this guitar, reinstall the hardware...wonder where that is....and finally learn the skill of playing guitar. We shall see if this dream ever comes true.

2 comments:

BahamaDawn said...

that is one AWESOME guitar!!!! you are so creative!

Bee Haven Bev said...

So glad to see you back in blogland!